Tuesday, May 5, 2009

~Southwestern Bean Soup~


Don't forget the toppings! This soup is healthy, hearty, and SO YUMMY!


The past 2 weeks for some reason the weather has been nothing but chilly, rainy, and WINDY. It hasn't been exciting spring weather and my poor garden was struggling for a while! On nights that my husband is away at school I am usually dreading being alone, running away to my Mom's house to make her entertain me or Ryan's parents house, or just trying to keep busy. I am still weird when it comes to being alone - I hate it. For example, when Ryan leaves for work in the morning I make him close the closet door and bathroom door in our bedroom. I can't sleep with them open!!! I am still such a child in so many ways! But... tonight for some reason I felt excited to have the house to myself. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE being with my husband. I cried for the first three days that he went back to work because we had 4 MONTHS of lay off time to play, annoy each other! (Basically our Honeymoon) But, I have been craving foods that I know he wouldn't eat and I figure this will be a great way to spend an evening alone... Eating something warm and tasty that I love, watching a girlie movie, and not having to worry about what to make MR. PICKY-PANTS! Tonight... The schedule is engorging myself with my homemade Southwestern Bean Soup simmered to perfection in my crock pot all day, my favorite and most comfortable sweats, popping in an Audrey Hepburn movie (I love her), and possibly crocheting... Here is my recipe... I thought for those of you who enjoy soups on a cold day and a soup that is HEALTHY, you would especially enjoy this!
Bon Appétit!


Southwestern Bean Soup:
(Pictured above)


1 can Black Beans
1 can White Beans
2 cans Kidney Beans
1 can diced green chilis
1 can diced tomatoes
2-4 cups chicken broth (Depending how liquidy/chunky you like it)
1/2 Red onion chopped
1 package frozen corn
1 tbls. minced garlic
1 jalapeno pepper chopped (Optional)
1 bunch fresh cilantro chopped
1 tbls. Chili powder
2 tbls. cumin
Salt and Pepper
Dash hot sauce (I like Tapatio)

Toppers:

Cabbage shredded or chopped
(I love fresh cabbage, it adds a crunch. You can use lettuce if you like)
Fresh tomatoes chopped
Green onions chopped
Fresh avocado sliced
Fresh cilantro as garnish
Shredded pepper jack cheese
Sour cream

Directions:
1. Saute onions and garlic until cooked. Place in crock pot.
2. Open all cans, rinse beans and add beans to crock pot. Add chicken broth, diced green chilis, diced tomatoes, and frozen corn.
3. Chop jalapeno and cilantro. Add to crock pot.
4. Add salt and pepper, cumin, chili powder and hot sauce. Stir ingredients together.
5. Cook on low all day or cook on high 3 hours.
6. Serve in bowl with toppings you desire. Delicious!

***I freeze this dish to make it last longer. It makes a lot and since I only like it, if I freeze it I can enjoy it another day! :)




1 comment:

  1. Missy- this looks AMAZING!!! i am going to make this for code cuz he would love it!! well I'm glad you posted a comment on my blog...i had no idea you were back in buisness :) looks like things are going great! we need to talk soon...love you and take care of the BABY- have fun!

    ReplyDelete