Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The C-Section...


She sleeps like her Daddy... Mouth open :)


I have figured that by now people are wondering... What happened? Why a C-Section? I am still trying to grasp everything that happened myself, as it was SO fast. I wasn't given much time to think and when it comes to these things, you don't get much of a choice either. So... Here is the story.

Thursday morning I went to my appointment to do the usual check up and see how everything was going. I was 39 weeks along, having on and off contractions for about a month and already 2cm dilated. I arrived and the nurse decided while I waited for the Doctor to do a stress test. She hooked me up to the baby monitor, waited a couple of minutes and then excused herself from the room. I thought that was weird, but knew something was wrong when they Doctor came running in. At this point I was nervous, especially since before I left for my appointment I had already decided that I wasn't having her anytime soon because I wanted her out so bad. So nothing was ready... my house, all of my bags were at home, and I wasn't ready. My baby shower was supposed to be that night, my doctor was out of town and family was going to be here - I didn't have time to have a baby, ha ha. The Doctor did some checking, assured me to stay calm, and then used his cell phone to call the Hospital right next to his office to let them know to prepare for an Emergency C-Section...

I broke down. He let me know that Emma was okay, but her heart rate was dangerously low, changing between 39-80 and that he didn't want to take any chances. He helped me into a wheel chair and started running for the Hospital. At this point, I had no time to call my Husband, my Mom, Ryan's Mom... ANYONE!!! I was sobbing on my wheel chair ride to the hospital, terrified for my baby, me and even more terrified that I was alone. The Doctor was great. I knew he was really scared for Emma and I could tell by his actions, but as we rushed over he kept reassuring me it was okay and saying "You are having a baby today!!! How exciting!!!" When we got to the birthing unit they took me to my room and checked the heart rate one more time. At this point it was stable and things looked like maybe they would turn up. He went over some things with me and decided that maybe we could wait an hour and see how things go. I called Ryan and told him to come to the hospital and called my Mom and Ryan's Mom. I was still panicked at this point. I feared the worst because her heart rate had been low for the last month, as well as my amniotic fluid. After an hour went by, the Doctor came in to let Ryan and I know that we would start inducing labor because things were looking great. I was so relieved!

Two hours into the pitocin and I was feeling contractions!!! Before we started inducing I was 70% effaced and even more dilated! When they started to get a minute apart I called the Nurse in pain for an epidural and asked Ryan to go to the car and get my bags. Within the 5 minutes that Ryan was gone, Emma's heart rate decreased dangerously again! How could this happen? I was terrified again. The nurse came in and did a catheter as quickly as she could, the Doctor came in and said that they would be ready in 5 minutes and to sign some piece of paper and my poor Husband came in with bags and was thrown a gown and told to say goodbye as they wheeled me off to the OR. Ryan did as he was told, leaned to me and cried and said he loved me and then asked me... "What are we naming this baby?" Ha ha... I started crying even more... I was so scared, in pain and just blurted out the name that I wanted. Without hesitation he said he loved it and kissed me goodbye. I have the best husband. :)

After preparing for the C-Section, they allowed Ryan in and he watched everything! I was amazed. The only thing that came out of his mouth about the whole experience was it was violent, tears, and I am so glad you are okay, ha ha. Our precious Baby came out in about 3 minutes and was doing okay.

The most frustrating part about the C-Section was we thought we would have some answers after she was born. We assumed that the cord must be wrapped around her neck, but it wasn't and I still don't know what went wrong. But... I do know one thing. Emma needed to come out quickly and quickly she came. Although, we had some minor problems with her health afterwards, she is healthy now and happy and eating like a pig!

Today we had her check up and the Nurse kept saying how she couldn't find anything wrong with this baby. I know why... That is because she is perfect. :) I have come to realize three things. While I was pregnant I would have told you that I couldn't have a C-Section and that it wasn't going to happen. It just didn't seem like the way to have a baby to me, and it still doesn't. But... I have decided that it doesn't matter how your baby comes, just that when they do they are healthy and so are you. All of the things that I thought were so important and mattered have flown out the window and it is amazing how your priorities and ideas of what is important change. I know that I am so blessed to have this child in my arms every second and to feel as good as I do after surgery. Heavenly Father was thinking of Emma and I through everything, and I know he blessed us with alert Doctors that were aware and ready to take action. I am so grateful to him and for this special gift. I have never felt so much love towards anyone and like I said earlier... I would have 10 C-Sections just to have her here.

Well... That is the story. We are doing great. I surprise myself all the time at what I have been able to do! I love my Emma!
:)

4 comments:

  1. oh my heck missy. That is such a huge experience. She's so beautiful and I'm so glad that everything is going well. I love Emmalee (is that how you spell it?!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. isn't it CRAZY. seriously. baby makes you grow up. no matter who you are. it's NUTS what our bodies can do isn't it!!! sooooo....i am sooo excited for you missy. i just knowyou are the best mommy EVER. we should have a play date!! come to vegas ;) love you! i am so happy you are healthy and that emmalee is perfect! XoxoOXOXo

    ReplyDelete
  3. yay yay yay! so exciting. congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yahoo!! Congrats she is so freakin cute :) Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete